Middle Eastern Chickpea Puree Or Hummus
Recipe by Chicky Hampshire Catering
- 1 cup of good quality chickpeas [soaked overnight in twice the water volume and a pinch of baking soda]
- N.B If time does not allow to soak, use a good quality tin of cooked chickpeas
- 1 TB of Tahini [sesame paste]
- 2 tsp roasted cumin seeds [roast in a fry pan until fragrant]
- 1 clove garlic, crushed to a paste with a little salt
- 4 Tb lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- About 200mls of Olive oil
- N.B fresh chili can also be added to taste
Place the soaked chickpeas in a large pot and fill with fresh water, cook for about 45-60 mins until they are tender. Strain and reserve the cooking liquid.
Place chickpeas, cumin seeds, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid in a food processor. Add 100mls of the olive and process, for a minute. Then add extra olive oil and cooking liquid to this mixture to get a smooth consistency.
Salt and pepper to taste.